DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS
Essex County Jail, New Jersey. Abandoned in 1970 when a new jail was built, this prison was also known as the Old Newark Jail and is to be found in New Jersey. It is listed on the national register of heritage places, but despite this, nothing has been done to preserve the site and it has gone to ruin.
Carbon County Jail Museum
Resembling a fortress standing guard over the town of Jim Thorpe (formerly known as Mauch Chunk), the historic Old Jail Museum is a beautiful two-story stone structure. Completed in 1871 it was used as the Carbon County Prison from 1871 until January 1995 when it was purchased by Tom McBride and his wife, Betty Lou, of Jim Thorpe. Containing approximately 72 rooms, this magnificent structure shouts to all "Be good"! The building has 27 cells, plus basement...